Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What Do You Want to Be When You Grow UP?

We used to ask this question to children and the usual reply is: I want to be a doctor, a policeman, a teacher, an engineer, go abroad and become a domestic helper or factory worker, a bank employee, a small business owning a place in a supermarket, to be a businessman but usually managing the business themselves, and many more. This was also the kind of question and answer I used to have as child. It was already a big success if you graduated in college and found a good job in Metro Manila. This is because the people in the barrios had a hard time tilling the land, working in small groceries, have a backyard piggery, and those who are tambays most often playing cards (tong-its) and other kinds of small time gambling.

My mind and curiosity began to change when I read Robert Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad Poor Dad because it opened to me the kind of mindset I have had and why I have that kind of mindset. Honestly, I am happy with my job mainly because this is what I wanted to be when I was still a child to have a work in an office. That’s why it is normal for me to be far away from my family because I am the breadwinner and need to sacrifice in order to provide food on table of my family.

At least now, after reading the book, I know that I was just conditioned to be like this for a long time and I have a choice to recondition my mind to think like the rich. I am in the process and consistently working on to develop my mindset. I am once again dreaming and become a child again declaring to myself that I want to be financially free when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment